Saturday, August 30, 2008

Almost Like Summer

A surprisingly pleasant day for late August. In fact, the hot sun and the scent of wood smoke from the neighbor's slash pile give the day a feeling of late June, not the latter-days of summer.

I headed out to the back lot to transplant some wildflowers out of harm's way. Or at least safe from the bulldozer. I was walking the area last night and noticed a small stand of Touch-Me-Nots (Impatiens noli-tangere)mixed in with the nettles next to the dozer-tracks. So I loaded the wheelbarrow with tools and plastic buckets and went out back.

It was hot and dusty in the sun, but shaded and cool where the plants grew under the old spruce trees. The soil was soft and the plants weren't deep-rooted so it went fast.



I was having trouble cropping this photo to highlight the eagle who was watching me. Then I realized that I liked the sky and the interesting curves of the clouds too much to discard them.



Back home, I snuck the first potatoes out of the garden, using my fingers to feel them out underground.



I had them microwaved with peas and butter for dinner. They were pretty tasty...

2 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Oi! I've got a couple pairs of gardening gloves exactly like yours. You didn't mail order them from Aus, did you?

Laura said...

Nope--they are some of my husband's work gloves and probably came from China.:) Maybe your did too?

Anyway, it's been raining for the past week so I guess that's it for summer.