Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Blooming August

A stroll around our yard this evening.

Beautiful, ubiquitous fireweed...



These specimens were about seven feet tall...


Paintbrush is yellow in Alaska...



...kissed by the evening sun.



Cow parsnip offers bouquets of bridal-white flowerets.



About a decade ago, I got three trollius plants from a friend. They still are holding their own amid the wildflowers, surprising me with orange-yellow blooms in August. This one shares space with a wild geranium called cranesbill.



At one point, I started a garden outside our dining room window. The alders and fireweed have encrouched but the trollius asserts itself in late summer.



I love the way the low-angled sun illuminates my Icelandic poppies...





Sorry if I bore with the flower photos, but I want to remember summer when the snow is deep in the yard.

No comments: